Conditioning stays integral to sports in summer

Michael Simmons, Blue M Sports Editor

When a coach starts conditioning, it’s usually met with moans and groans from the athletes but this year was a different story for the athletes participating in the summer weights and conditioning camp.

“I thought it was awesome I had a fun time,” Senior Jalin Harper said. “We have had to wake up at 6 to go to weights at 7 for all four year’s of my high school so I didn’t really think much of it, it was just another summer at Manhattan High, and I enjoy it, I like seeing all of my friends, and being able to compete at weights with some of my friend and just the environment it has to offer, I mean, I always had fun during it.”

The summer weights and conditioning made some changes this year, such as including the basketball team in their daily workouts.

“I think it’s awesome the more people you can get there the better it is,” Harper said. “I mean we are Manhattan High, it shouldn’t make a difference in work if the basketball team is there, if the football team is there, anybody. I mean work is work, and if they are willing to put in the work like we are and likewise it’s good to see everybody out they’re working together as one school.”

Incorporating the basketball team is not the only significant change made to the program, they incorporated a new weight program called Rack Performance. It has a range of visual and audio timers that tell the athletes what work out they are currently doing, what they will be doing next and how long they have to finish their repetitions.