Comparing Freshman year to Sophomore Year

Mason Alberto, Staff Writer

I have many opinions while transitioning between being a Freshman and a Sophomore.

The most obvious was I feel like the East needs updated, while the West Campus building is new. However, the East Campus is easier to get around because it is smaller. Also the separate gym was a bit inconvenient at times, especially when there was bad weather. Both gyms could definitely be bigger to allow more students to all get seats at events. The good thing about having freshmen at East Campus was that you got to know your classmates a lot better. The West Campus allows you to get to know the upperclassmen. I like West Campus’s lunch set up better because there is more room.

The good thing about my sophomore year is it makes it easier to get to know people and get more involved. The transportation on buses to the West Campus was stressful because I was mostly late for my classes. But I enjoyed going to West Campus for lunch my freshman year. Now it’s easier because I don’t have to go back and forth from each campus. While having my Choir class at West Campus for freshmen year, I got used to the building before even being primarily at West Campus. While being a freshmen you don’t have as much variety for electives as you do for your sophomore, junior or senior year.

While I was a freshmen I didn’t feel as much a part. When I was attending sporting events a lot of my classmates were not there. I feel like the seating at basketball games isolates the freshmen which makes it harder for more students to attend. In fact I remember at one basketball game I got there late so I had to sit above the student section. The only basketball game last year that I felt a part of was the Junction City game where we won. All of the upperclassmen at the sporting events looked Iike they were having more fun. But now that I’m a sophomore, I feel more included in things.

Having the opportunity to take more elective classes that are mostly with juniors and seniors has also helped me make friends. Whenever I make new friends, they’re usually from experiences from classes with new people. At first if you’re struggling to make friends or get to know people, just get involved in more clubs and activities. As a freshmen I took Choir as an elective and most of my friends today have came from that class. Both campuses have very respectable staff. Overall, East Campus was fun but I’m excited being at West Campus for two more years.