Moving on too soon, effects of 9/11 still felt

Meredith Comas, Opinions Editor

Last week, the 16th anniversary of the tragedy that was — and for many still is — 9/11 was remembered throughout the country. While for many, this brought back the terrifying memories of living through the event, it also hit home for many students, the generation that has been left to deal with the aftermath and effects of one of the biggest terrorist attacks the nation has ever seen.

In the past years, Manhattan High, as well as America as a whole, has done at least the bare minimum to commemorate the disaster that is 9/11. However this year, at MHS, there was only a moment of silence that took place during the regular announcements, that ultimately was overshadowed by the widely inappropriate talking from students.

Not only did MHS cast 9/11 remembrance into the shadows, but many news outlets also made an exception for 9/11 this year to focus on the more serious natural disasters currently affecting the country.

Many high school students were just small children when 9/11 happened. However they still live in the aftermath even though they don’t have the memory of 9/11 — just what their parents told them. Students lived with their parent’s being ripped away from them for the war that resulted from 9/11; they lived with the fear, chaos and grief that at times is still very prominent within the American people.

It is the agreement of The Mentor editorial board that, while it has been 16 years since the attack, it isn’t necessarily the time to be phasing out 9/11 as simply as historic event.

While we will never stop talking about 9/11, in time it will be reduced to a major part of history, not something we are currently affected by. As people become distanced from the emotional ties that our generation holds with 9/11, it will become less and less prominent in our society.

For now we should be remembering those who lost their lives, those who sacrificed themselves to save people from the falling towers, those who served in the war that came afterward. We should remember the event that continually shapes our society.

We need to empathize with those who are still grieving and attempting to cope with the effects of 9/11. Those moments of silence should be respected and encouraged to give respect to those who died as well as those who were left behind. Students should understand the deep effect 9/11 has on people, whether it be their parents or their fellow students and simply accept that this event has left both physical and emotional scars on the hearts of so many Americans.