One of America’s Infamous Killers

Elizabeth Alexander, Trending Editor

With no signs of stopping, a suicide epidemic spreads across the nation.

The 10th leading cause of death in America with over 44,000 deaths per year, 121 cases per day, costing the nation $51 billion per year– this is what the suicide epidemic in America is leaving in its wake.

The previous statements cited were provided by The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, who also stated that as of 2016, the rate of suicide per 100,000 individuals is about 13.26 in the United States. While these numbers are lower compared to some other countries, the United States is starting to see its own highs compared to its history.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, between the years of 1999 and 2014, U.S. suicide rates have risen 24 percent. The most drastic climb shown is in the female population between the ages of 45 and 63, whose numbers had risen by 63 percent. Using these statistics, The New York Times stated that the U.S. was seeing a 30-year all-time high in suicide rates.

What has the U.S. done in reaction? Over the past few years, awareness has been raised and individuals are striving to educate others on how to identify risk factors. However, these risk factors are primarily linked to mental illness — such as depression, anger issues, addiction and so on — making a point that the U.S. should focus on mental health more than we have in the past.

Along with that, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, death by suicide is only part of the problem. More often than not, individuals who attempt suicide survive only to attempt again, remain troubled, or have the small chance of truly recovering.

Pertaining to the concern of Kansas, specifically Riley County, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment has been keeping up with suicide trends over the past few decades. As of 2014 through 2016, the average number of suicides per 100,000 people in Riley county is 12.6. According to the KDHE, this trend is increasing significantly with time, causing Riley County to miss its Healthy People 2020 target. Healthy People is an organization focused on health-based goals with 10-year targets. One HP goal is lowering the numbers in suicides. Riley County, however, only continues to see a rise in numbers of suicides.

Media and entertainment is something that most will find to be at fault for the country’s stance on suicide. Many individuals can remember the debut of the televised version of Jay Asher’s novel “13 Reasons Why.” The show had stirred many arguments on social media, pertaining to the concept that the show was glorifying the idea of suicide through the story of Hannah, the main character, who takes her own life, but not before recording a tapes stating her 13 reasons as to why she had done it and who took a part in her decision. The show had mental health experts fearing how it might influence mentally ill individuals due to the program’s graphic scenes and imagery. Experts claimed that the content would be harmful to people dealing with suicidal thoughts. Another example would be the “American Horror Stories” series, known for its darker themes and even darker, graphic suicides. These kinds of shows and scenes can influence troubled individuals in all of the wrong ways.

According to Mental Health America, about 15 percent of teens self-harm. As for young adults — primarily college students — the rate ranges between 17 and 35 percent. Self-harm is a major risk factor when it comes to identifying suicidal behavior, yet its topic is something that these age groups would rather make jokes about rather than seriously discuss. Awareness of the joking nature of suicide and self harm has been raised as well.

Increasing rates of suicide, however, are baffling scientists and psychiatrists everywhere. Finding the true cause of increasing suicide rates in the U.S. has yet to be achieve