Cross Country takes league for eighth straight year

Maddy Gleason, Staff Writer

Manhattan High’s Varsity and JV teams traveled down to Washburn Rural for their league meet this past Saturday, where both Varsity girls and boys placed first. JV ended the season with this last meet, but Varsity will be participating at regionals on Oct. 21.

“It felt really good to get first, that was the first time I’ve won a race in high school and that experience I think will help me with the remaining meets of the season,” senior Cooper Schroeder said.

As a whole, the Varsity Boys worked together to improve their scores which helped them reach regionals and possibly a state meet.

“The team did very good, Daniel Harkin [freshman] improved by over 45 seconds and Matthew Pickering [sophomore] did good as well, sweeping places first to third,” Schroeder said. “Alex Henton [senior] also had a great race, and our fifth and sixth runners ran tough,”

Winning league gives a boost of confidence to take with them into regionals, which will help them take the next step.

“After winning league pretty dominantly, that experience will give us more confidence heading into regionals and state,” Schroeder said.

Varsity girls also placed first, adding on to the winning streak of Manhattan at league.

“It felt good to win and I’m glad we kept the streak going on both the girl’s and the boy’s side,” junior Clara Mayfield said. “We’re really packing up well and where we need to be going into regionals,”

Regionals are next weekend at Milford and the Varsity teams are preparing for victory.

“We’re feeling pretty prepared and confident, but it will take good performance to make it to state,” Mayfield said.

The season is done for JV, and it will be yet determined if Varsity will make it to state after running regionals this Saturday at Milford.