Thespians host mystery-themed kids camp

Maiesha Hossain, Features Editor

A group of kids, a kidnapped senior and a hole in the wall. The Thespians’ kids camp this year on Oct. 20 was one to remember.

Last year Manhattan High School’s Thespians held the kids camp centered around last year’s musical “The Drowsy Chaperone.” This year the Thespians brought the camp back, new, improved and better than ever. The Thespians decided on a mystery theme that coincided with last spring’s play “Rehearsal for Murder.”

Senior Noah Shirk kicked the event off by asking the kids to help him protect his jewels, when he was suddenly kidnapped and the jewels were stolen. The kids then proceeded to solve the case, discovering clues while learning theatre skills along the way. The 23 children were taught how lighting and sound works, about costumes and makeup, and then learned a dance combination and some acting.

“Twenty-three kids showed up and had a blast,” Anna Washburn, senior, said. “All were enthralled by the different parts involved in the making of theatre production. We have been planning this kids camp since summer, so it was very rewarding to see it play out so well.”

The kids went from station to station, learning about sound from Jack Laswell, junior, and deciphering a clue from a game they played. That clue sent them to the drama room, aka The Black Box Dance Club. Before entering the kids had to don disguises, which they learned about from senior Alexa Kroll.

Juniors Marlena Hummel, Finn Huslig, Mckayla Alberto, and Grace Franke then taught the kids about theatre makeup and helped the kids make masks. The kids were then admitted to the dance club, where senior Ashlyn Gillispie and Washburn taught them the Charleston. Junior Jacob Wineland and senior Emma Lansdowne taught ‘20s slang so they could talk to people and gather clues. The event was concluded with Shirk and the jewels being found.

“What I liked best was that the kids were really into the…story,” senior Erin Hackenberg said. “They really wanted to solve the mystery and they all said they had a lot of fun.”

The camp was educational and a lot of fun, prompting many of the kids to ask for another one, which the Thespians agreed to.

“It was really fun to interact with the kids and I loved to listen to their theories about who took the jewels and Noah,” Gillespie said, “We definitely want to do this again and we’re considering finding a date for this spring.”