Watch out for scholars bowl

Kami Bussmann, Staff Writer

Scholars Bowl has had a productive start to their season. JV has won every meet this season, placing 11-0 at every meet. The only two girls on the team compete on Junior Varsity, Vanessa Woods and Alice Le. In addition, the two varsity teams have placed in every meeting they have competed in. The Scholars Bowl team at Manhattan High is known to compete in state almost every year and has been proving this all season.

They are sponsored by Ted Dawdy, a math teacher at Manhattan High. The team has started and continued off strong with their season this year. The team consists of two varsity teams and one team of junior varsity. Teams from different schools compete against manhattan high with a max of five students on a team. They are asked questions from different categories and the team that answers the most correct wins the round.

“We usually place in Varsity, which is not too bad considering we usually only bring around three, out of five, people to every meet,” sophomore Allen Zhang said.

Varsity has struggled to bring a full team of five to their meets due to students’ other priorities.

“Everyone on Varsity is very academically protective and participates in many after school activities and sports, so usually people have a conflict during the meets,” Zhang said.

Although this might seem like this will cause problems for the team throughout their season, it does not. The current meets they attend do not determine whether they are capable of attending and competing in state. The meets that do determine going or not come later in the season.