Marching Band Participates in Disney World Event

Kaitlin Clark, Entertainment Editor

Marching down the main street of Disney World, Manhattan High band members were surrounded by the magic of Christmas a little early this year.

The MHS marching band performed for an enthusiastic crowd at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, over the Thanksgiving holiday break.

“It was magical, and the castle was all lit up, and then you turn a corner, and everyone [in the crowd] was just smiling,” Kate Washburn, junior, said.

When they weren’t performing, band members got the chance to explore the parks with each other.

“You got closer with the people who were not as close with you to begin with and you got to be in a magical place with all your friends,” Washburn said.

Even those who had been to Disney with the band previously found their experience this year to be unique and memorable.

“I was fortunate enough to go to Disney twice,” Taryn Hohenbary, senior, said. “This year was so much more amazing because I am a senior and got to experience the trip again and hang out with all of the friends I have made over the past four years.”

Although the trip was meant to be a fun chance to perform for a larger audience, students learned from the opportunity as well.

“Band really matters,” Jessica Minnich, junior, said. “We really have a reputation.”

The experience also impacted band members’ thoughts on the program’s future.

“I think that the band did an amazing job in the parade and I think that it will put the band in a good position for future performances,” Hohenbary said.

Not only was the trip a chance for band members to learn and grow, but it also provided opportunities for band members to create stronger ties with each other.

“[You] experience new adventures and hang out with people you sometimes don’t hang out with and get to see parts of them that you haven’t gotten to see before for hours at a time,” Garvin said.

Just like on any other trip, the band trip had a few difficulties, namely the bus ride to Florida that confined students to the busses for over 24 hours.

“[It was hard] finding a comfortable position to sleep in on the bus ride,” Hohenbary said.

Despite the discomfort students had being away from other friends and family during their trip, they felt that the bonds they made over their stay was worth it.

“[The Disney trip] helped us bond together because we had to see each other for six days in a row,” Minnich said.

Marching in a Disney World parade made the trip even more special for the marching band performers.

“Having a lot of people watching you do what you love made it fun,” Minnich said.

Students certainly made memories to last a lifetime.

“It was so fun to spend time with the band and to have an experience like this for my senior year,” Hohenbary said. “We had so much fun and I wish I could go back.”