Manhattan High journalism makes trip down to national conference

Meredith Comas, Opinions Editor

Five aspiring Manhattan High journalists had the opportunity to travel to Dallas to learn from world renowned professionals during the Journalism Educators Association/National Scholastic Press Association Conference in Dallas, Texas Nov. 16 through Nov.19.

“I was terrified because it was like walking in there without any information on how to be a good journalist,” sophomore Sophia Comas, 21st Century Journalism Student, said. “I was very clueless on all of these different things but as I went into the sessions and I got to learn from all of these other people I began to become more familiar with journalism and how to be a better journalist.”

Students attended multiple sessions throughout the day with a variety of different topics and speakers. They ranged from complex design to the simplicity of writing a lead. However, it wasn’t all work. Students were given the opportunity to learn from and socialize with young journalists from all over the United States both in sessions, organized social events like the student dance, carnival and publication exchange. They were also able to explore the streets of Dallas.

“It was pretty fun, being able to walk around Dallas… and see everything,” senior MaKenna Eilert, Blue M photo editor, said. “We went to some pretty cool restaurants and… at the end of the conference they had this carnival thing where everyone in journalism that was there… we were able to play some carnival games… and get to know each other.”

The conference also offered competitions, where students were allowed to submit both on-sight and off-sight work. MHS students competed in Editorial Writing, Yearbook Captioning and Student Life, Press Law and Ethics, as well as News Editing and Headline Writing with one student per competition. Out of those who competed, Eilert received Excellent in Yearbook and sophomore Meredith Comas, opinions editor, received an Honorable Mention in Editorial Writing.