Athlete of the Week: Bubba Wilson

Micheal Simmons, Sports Editor

During the winter season, a lot of sports are forced to participate indoors, such as swimming, basketball and wrestling. While you often hear about someone dropping a triple-double for basketball, it doesn’t mean that spectacular things don’t happen in the sports that are not as much in the spotlight. A perfect example of that would be wrestling, despite the fact that it won state last year and makes a goal of doing it again this year.

Junior Bubba Wilson took first place last week for the 152 pound weight category, and went undefeated in the most recent meet. has participated on the Varsity wrestling team for the entirety of his high school career not only plans to win a state title as a team, but also as an individual.

“I started wrestling when I was 4 so it’s been 12 years that I have wrestled,” Wilson said. “I didn’t start wrestling for a specific reason I just bought a flier home from school one day and decided to try it. Wrestling gives me an adrenaline rush, I just feel on top of the world and I love it. I expect our team to go back to back winning state, at least top 3 and I hope to win state as an individual.”

Not only does he plan to win state this year, he plans to do it his senior season as well. Wilson’s next wrestling match, along with the rest of the varsity team is Saturday in Grand Island, Nebraska.