Girls basketball named champions once again

Micheal Simmons, Sports Editor

Having four years of memories come to mind while trying to play a basketball game is a very emotional experience. Despite the emotions, Manhattan High Lady Indians beat Shawnee Heights in a blow out 61-31.

“Definitely a lot of emotions,” senior Chrissy Carr said. “It’s not really that emotional for me because I get to have four more years on the court but it’s always hard to almost end your high school career. It’s been an awesome ride and I’m so excited for the next chapter.”

This win along with MHS beating Junction City in yet another blowout 63-28 continued their winning streak. MHS is now 18-2 overall and ranked ninth in the state.

“I was definitely pleased with how the girls finished the regular season,” head coach Scott Mall said. “I thought we played Tuesday night against Junction City, defensively for most of the game we played really well and thought we moved the ball around really well on offense.”

Not only did MHS become 18-2 overall, they also were named the undefeated league champions, as they dominated the Centennial League going 13-0 in league play.

“That’s a big accomplishment,” Mall said. “That’s one of their goals is to be undefeated league champions, and to do that two years in a row really says a lot and it’s a huge accomplishment, all credit to the girls and how hard they work to obtain their goals.”

The Lady Indians however did get off to an unusually slow start going on a run of 10-4 to end the first quarter. Despite this, MHS warmed up in the second half as they had their highest-scoring quarter going on a run of 29-11 in the third. Underclassmen Alorea Ostermann came off the bench to score two 3-pointers, helping the Indians off to a good start in the second half. The seniors quickly reclaimed the spotlight. Carr scored 17 points in the third quarter, allowing her to be the highest-scoring player with a total of 22 points.

“I made sure that I came out and do what I usually do,” Carr said. “I wanted to contribute to the team in the same way I always would. I feel like our team did a really good job handling emotions, they came together and made it about the seniors.”

The teams next game will be on Wednesday at home as they turn the page on league play and head into the substate tournament.