Arming teachers not solution to gun safety

Sophia Comas, Features Editor

In light of the Parkland shooting, many American citizens have put forth their best efforts in determining a solution to gun violence.

The more popular fix with the U.S. president is arming teachers, hoping it will provide protection and safety to their students.

It’s simply ridiculous to imagine that giving ill-equipped teachers weapons in a setting with many impressionable young kids is in any way a step in the right direction.

In a series of tweets made by Donald Trump, he says, “…What I said was to look at the possibility of giving ‘concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience – only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions.”

Comments such as these have frequented social media and news outlets for days, even though the tweets like this one include uncited statistics that seem to come from nowhere. Stating that the reason shootings happen due to the lack of guns within schools is absolutely moronic, just as saying “attacks would end” would make it so. While the government proposes this new policy, what students really want to happen is far different.

In an interview with CNN, Stoneman Douglas survivor Samantha Fuentes says she wants “simple mechanisms we’ve had for ages, like bulletproof windows and metal detectors, and live-footage security cameras,” and a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons, stronger background checks and the minimum age for buyers to be 21.

Students of Stoneman Douglas as well as survivors of the Pulse nightclub shooting have also joined together to start the #NeverAgain movement, creating a nationwide protest on Mar. 24 called “March for Our Lives.” They plan on having a rally in Washington D.C. as well as sister marches in Boston and Los Angeles. The group has inspired others such as the Women’s March to take action, as they plan to have the National School Walkout 10 a.m. on March 14 and another on April 20. The protest calls for students and teachers alike to walk out of their classrooms for 17 minutes in honor of the 17 lives lost in the Parkland shooting.

These forms of protest are indicative of what action schools really want to see happen, not what Trump has suggested.

The Department of Homeland Security says, “…Only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter.” They suggest stopping a shooter by yelling, throwing things and committing to your actions. It does not, however, say the best way is to be previously armed before an attack. Giving teachers weapons wouldn’t solve anything, certainly not the threat of a shooter hoping to impose maximum damage to a classroom full of students.

To provide the most protection to the children of America, arming teachers is the last thing that should ever happen and is truly a dangerous idea that only promotes the issue of gun violence rather than provide the safety students and teachers truly desire.