Show more support for girls sports

Kami Bussmann, Staff Writer

As a girl who plays sports, I’ve seen sports we play that aren’t liked as much or don’t have as big a number of people who are involved because it is played by girls.

For example, at Manhattan High golf is a sport that usually doesn’t meet the numbers for a full team, at least for girls. For the first time in 12 years, this year’s team had a full Varsity and Junior Varsity team. Next year we will only have four returning varsity golfers.

But even with low numbers of players, the girls team always makes an appearance at State, receiving high placement individually and collectively every year. Girls golf places in every tournament we attend with an improving low score most times.

There are people who are sports fans who say “golf isn’t really a sport,” or “there isn’t much exercise going into golf.” Those statements are far from the truth. Google’s definition of a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.”  Playing a round of golf is physical activity because of the swinging of the club and the walking the sport requires. In addition, golf is played where the golfers compete against each other for the lowest score, which comes from the golfer that has skill, further supporting Google’s definition of a sport.

We have a really good track record of wins but yet there isn’t a lot of support or knowledge from staff and students around MHS.

Our girls basketball team is another example of a sport that deserves more support. Last year they were Centennial League champions and won State. Looking at the attendance at regular season girls games this year, it wasn’t as high as the number of students that came to the boys games.

Our girls are the ones that are two-time Centennial League champions and are heading into the state championship tournament tomorrow. Even knowing this, our student section sits down during games or simply does not show up, even though our girls team has done better than our boys.

When athletes are out there putting their heart and bodies on the line for their team, they should have fans standing behind them, supporting them. It takes a lot to be an athlete, so give support where it’s needed. Whether it’s boys or girls, we’re all out on that field, court, water or track pining for a way to be on top.