• November 6Democratic Sen. Laura Kelly defeats Kobach in gubernatorial race.

• November 4Boys soccer coach Frank Alonso passes away

New ice cream store rolls into popularity

Back to Article
Back to Article

A bowl of ice cream from Pandora Rolled Ice cream can be bought with a variety of toppings such as candy, sprinkles and brownies after the ice cream has been rolled into its classic shape.

Leah Beyer

Leah Beyer

Leah Beyer

Leah Beyer, Blue M Academics Editor

Rolled ice cream, also known as Thai stir-fried ice cream, is a new fad that has pretty much swept social media feeds all across the nation. Residents of Manhattan can now join in on this trend with the addition of its very own Pandora Rolled Ice Cream.

The difference between regular ice cream or even frozen yogurt shops and rolled ice cream shops is not only the way the dessert is made, but also its physical appearance. To make rolled ice cream, milk is poured on an ice grill and then mixed with fruit or a variety of other ingredients. Once it has completely frozen, the mixture is spread out across the grill and rolled one strip at a time into its smooth round shape.

“I’ve gone to rolled ice cream places in Kansas City before and I’d always wanted one right here in Manhattan,” senior MaKenna Eilert said. “When [Pandora Rolled Ice Cream] opened up I knew I was going to love it and go all the time.”

The taste of rolled ice cream is unique because it is the perfect mixture of rich and flavorful. It’s not too rich to make it overwhelming, but creamy enough that it allows this type of ice cream to stand out as superior.

“I was surprised the ice cream had so much flavor since they only put one cookie and strawberry in,” junior Tara Woods said. “Both the food and the place was cute.”

Specifically at Pandora Rolled Ice Cream, there is a list of specials to choose from as well as a “make-your-own” menu. To customize a cup, the customer is given a choice of the type of cream, a mix-in and three toppings.

During my experience, I was able to try the “Strawbella” cup which consists of both strawberry and nutella. Going in, I expected to get a normal cup of ice cream that tasted like any other, just with a better aesthetic. However, I left with an entirely different perspective. The flavor and choice of toppings together made for a recipe of satisfaction.

“I love ice cream and it’s honestly better when it’s made in front of you and rolled all fancy and cute,” Eilert said.

As a result of being a new location, the rolled ice cream shop in Manhattan is still attempting to hire new employees and can sometimes have a long wait time. Despite this, it is definitely worth a try, and not only for the Instagram aesthetic.