Hispanic Club Comes Into Action

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

Not often do students get the opportunity to explore someone else’s culture, but Manhattan High is quickly changing that with the newly founded Hispanic club.

Nearly every Wednesday during advisory, the Hispanic Club meets in room E-114 to represent what Hispanic culture is really made of.

While this club was actually started two years ago by Señora Eunice Rivera, it was never fully carried out as a continuous club at MHS.

Until just recently, students started taking interest in it after they attended a Hispanic reunion at Kansas State University. The event allowed for them to be immersed in the different cultures and friendships and it sparked new inspiration within the students to start their very own Hispanic Club.

After receiving sponsorship from Señora Rivera and Señora Carmen Wilson, the students were able to create their own version of the old MHS Hispanic Club.

“They come up with the ideas for the activities and that’s when I support them,” Wilson said. “They know what they want and they need. I’m here to support them and help them and guide them.”

Part of the club’s mission is to promote culture and to develop academic excellence within the Hispanic population of students at Manhattan High. They hope to offer a place for any students who may feel isolated to interact with those of similar backgrounds.

“We want the Hispanic kids in the high school to have a voice,” senior Victor Banda, vice president of the club, said. “Other people can know the Hispanic culture, not just Mexican culture but other cultures like Peru, Argentina and all those Hispanic countries.”

While the club is meant for Hispanic students, anyone is welcome to join as everyone can benefit from learning about foreign cultures and making new friends.

”We have a couple of members who are not Hispanic. They liked everything we do and how we do it,” Wilson said. “It’s open to anyone who would like to join and love the culture.”

The club plans on making and selling T-shirts to anyone interested in buying them as well as hosting a Hispanic themed dance on May 5.

“We will have Hispanic music and the theme will be Hispanic culture,” senior Luis Banda, president of the club, said. “We will have some snacks there that are Hispanic snacks and of course it would be open to everybody freshman, sophomore, junior anybody could go.”

The teachers are also planning to take the students to K-State to promote higher education and to increase their knowledge about the campus.

While these are the only events that have been decided upon, the club hopes to add more activities, especially ones more non-specific to just Hispanic students.They want to make everyone feel welcome at MHS and to create opportunities for non-Hispanic students to branch out and learn about an unfamiliar culture.

“I think it would benefit a lot,” Luis said. “Also I think people could learn more about our culture… you guys could learn about how we do things differently.”

The club’s goal of spreading diversity may soon become a reality as they continue to grow in membership.

“My favorite part is just getting so many hispanics involved,” Vicor said. “We didn’t think we would have so much but a lot of people came.”