Boys Golf Team is back, looking towards state

Kami Bussmann, Staff Writer

Get ready to hear the wind as the golf club slices through it for another year of boys golf at Manhattan High. Last year the boys golf team finished their season tying for sixth place at state as a team. This year the boys plan on crushing league for the second year in a row and taking state.

“I believe that if we play like we are capable of at regionals and state, we could potentially bring home some hardware,” senior Ben Robben said.

Going into the season the team lost two big contributors in Wesley Grogan and Dustin Wichman but are bringing lots of returning players and a new sophomore addition, Jake Cox.

“Jake Cox is one who I believe will step up, but also guys like Cody Begnoche and Mitch Munsen who could definitely step up and be key pieces for us,” Robben said.

Cox played baseball his freshman year but decided to try out for the golf team his sophomore year since he recently found out that this is his last season in Manhattan and will be moving to Texas. He hopes to be a big contributor towards the golf team and their success.

“I have three months left in Manhattan and I’ve enjoyed golf over baseball for the past couple years so I figured I’d rather have fun with all the friends on the course while I still have the chance,” Cox said.

Even though golf isn’t a team sport, working together is vital because each individual score is put together for the team score.

“I think everyone top to bottom are key players everyone has the potential for shooting low scores,” sophomore Munsen said.

Robben, senior Raul Garibay, junior Josh Priddle and sophomore Casey Gritton are the returning players for the Varsity team. With returning players comes a greater team relationship which is something the team is hoping for this year.

“If you have guys that are willing to give everything they have out on the course for the good of the team then you have what it takes to be successful,” Robben said. “And I believe this team has it.”

The team is preparing for their opening tournaments of the season. JV coached by Craig Ackermann plays on March 27 in Topeka at Western Hills. Varsity coached by Brad Ficke plays on April 2 in Kansas City at Lake Quivera.