MHS girls Soccer; Back and ready for more

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

Every year the goal of any team is to make it as far as the state tournament and eventually win state. Last year the Manhattan High girls soccer team fell short of that goal but are back this season and looking to go as far as their feet will carry them.

In the past season the team played well but not well enough, they lost in their sub-state game versus Wichita East. It was a disappointing outcome for a team that had worked so hard and valued the game so much but the girls are back this year and ready to compete.

The team last year only had three seniors but they all played a big part in the program which means that this year some girls are going to have to step up in positions on J.V. and Varsity. Filling a roll is hard to do but all of the girls are willing to make an effort so that there entire team can benefit overall.

“We have a lot of girls who are new to Varsity this year and I believe that they can fill the rolls,” sophomore Jordan Stegeman said.

There are now 11 seniors as opposed to the three they had last year. This will make for great leadership and a lot of those girls have had Varsity experience before giving the team some benefits that other schools might not have.

Some girls who were on J.V. last year are being moved up to help the Varsity and there are even some freshmen making the jump as well. Reagan Geisbrecht is one of these freshmen, she has been working hard during tryouts and the beginning practices and earned her spot on the Varsity team.

“I think it’ll be a lot of fun. I’ve never really got to play with her, it definitely makes my senior year more memorable,” senior Kendra Geisbrecht said, “She’s doing really well and I’m excited for what she’ll do throughout the season.”

Other girls like sophomores Kira Schartz and Jordan Stegeman have been a part of the Varsity since last year and will help show Geisbrecht the ropes since they once were in the same position. Even those on J.V. work everyday to become better players and one day earn their spot of the Varsity team, but in the meantime they scrimmage their Varsity in hopes of improving both parties.

“I think everyone on our team is ready to go all out during games and practices and with that attitude we can go far,” Kendra Geisbrecht said.

There are many key parts that make up a team and with all the returning athletes the MHS soccer team has the potential to fill all of those rolls starting with leadership. Seniors Sadie Samenus, Kendra Geisbrecht, Tessa Irvine and Cailey Perkins were chosen, by their teammates, to be the captains of the team.

“I’ve never been asked to take up this type of leadership position in the game, but I’m looking forward to seeing what my role on the team ends up as and how I can leave an impact on the program,” Kendra Geisbrecht said.

As captains the girls will look to them for leadership or assistance if they need help, making the bond between the athletes that much stronger. A strong bond within a team is important to the girls if they want to accomplish their goal of winning a state championship, but it’s not all about the outcome it’s the journey along the way that so many players will remember.

“Even though we’ve all played together for a long time we don’t get to have fun off the field together very often,” Stegeman said.

This year the team hopes to stay close off the field to help improve their chemistry on the field. If they all work together they hope to follow through on their dreams of being state champs.

“The team we have this year can rise to any occasion,” Kendra Geisbrecht said. “If we do what we need to do we’ll get there and hopefully win it all.”