Soccer continues win streak

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

After having three games a week for two weeks in a row, it was a bit of a change for the MHS girls soccer team to only play a single game this week. With their toughest win, Blue Valley Stilwell, under their belt, the Lady Indians could face the rest of the season feeling good about their game.

“I feel like we had a lot more confidence in each other and ourselves,” sophomore Kira Schartz said.

Beating Stilwell was huge for the Indians and it was at the conclusion of their last week consisting of three games. Now with a single game in the next week the mentality was no longer preserving energy to be able to play three games, but rather to exert all the energy on one game.

The Indians played on Tuesday vs. Topeka High. They kept their winning streak alive by beating them 3-1.

The Indians were up by two goals in the second half when T-High scored their only goal off of a kick from outside the penalty box. At this point the Trojans gained some momentum and stepped up their intensity but the Lady Indians were quick to match it. They drew a foul near the end of the game to give Cailey Perkins a penalty kick which she easily put in. In the end even though the Indians had many more opportunities to score they ended the game on top leaving the entire team pleased with the outcome.

“We had a lot of chances to score and we were connecting well” Schartz said, “But I don’t think the score reflected the play I feel like we didn’t finish our chances but overall I was satisfied.”