MHS hosts annual America’s Got Special Talent

Sophia Comas, Features Editor

Manhattan High celebrated the skills and talent of its Special Education department through their annual America’s Got Special Talent Show while also raising money for the USD 383 Families In Transition Closet on May 2.

The event featured small performances from both Special Ed and Interpersonal Skills students alike, combining their efforts to create group acts that displayed how they worked together to make something fun and enjoyable.

“It turned out really well,” Chris Blanton, paraprofessional and stage manager for the event, said. “It benefits everyone by showcasing the talents of the students. It takes a lot of courage to get up on stage in front of your peers and this populations thrives at that.”

Unlike the last couple of years the event has been held, this year’s America’s Got Special Talent was set to take place towards the end of the school year rather than the beginning of second semester.

“Up until this year, it was in January… but they changed it to the end of April,” Kim Schnee, Special Ed and IPS teacher, said. “I personally think that that’s what made it an even better show as we’ve gotten to know each other that much longer… even as they’re like coming up with their acts and stuff they just seem to be more aware of each other.”

This new development of when the show would actually take place became a strong advantage for the students involved, as they were able to become familiar with each other and learn more about the members of their groups.

“I could be way wrong on this, but from a student standpoint it was probably better,” Schnee said. “They knew each other a lot better and their strengths and weaknesses and what they could talk them into and what they couldn’t.”

The show offered the audience a valuable experience and showed the teamwork participants utilized to make the show great while also giving them an opportunity to enjoy themselves.

“I think it’s an opportunity for people to get out and have a good time,” Blanton said. “It’s a very non-judgemental crowd which is something you don’t always see. Everybody that’s there is there to have a good time.”

Despite careful preparation and practice, nerves and anxiety were apparent before the show began as there were many unpredictable outcomes to how it would commence.

“My thought always before the show is ‘There’s no way we’re going to pull this off,’” Schnee said. “I have that thought every year. There’s no way this is going to come together and then it did.”

No apparent disasters occured through the duration of America’s Got Special Talent and everyone involved was able to accomplish their goal of providing a fun and inclusive space for people to enjoy while also giving back to the community.

“To me, I think it makes Manhattan High look like a very inclusive place,” Schnee said. “We do have the community involved and always have. We welcome everyone.”