Soccer beats Shawnee Heights

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

After a few weeks full of games the Manhattan High Lady Indians finally concluded their regular season. They went out with a bang after beating Shawnee Heights 4-0. The game lit a fire of confidence under the Indians as they head into their postseason.

“It’s always a great game when we win by a lot,” senior Addy Stone said. ”especially right before postseason so we can build confidence.”

Going out with a win helps other players get more minutes in a postseason game. Along with this the girls Coach Mike Sanchez always assists them in doing their best.

“Mike [Sanchez] was being hard on us on the field because he wanted us to get ready for regionals,” sophomore Jordan Stegeman said.

The girls worked on their team bonding to help them remember what it means to play soccer and why they love it.

During the game the, Indians had a variety of players who scored and Stone was even able to tally up three goals, giving her a hat trick, early in the competition.

“That happened pretty early in the game so I didn’t play much after that but it’s always fun to watch my teammates get more minutes and to see everyone play.” Stone said.  

After that point the Indians kept up the pressure and controlled the ball on the offensive field. When the Thunderbirds were able to get the ball down the field, the defense was quick to respond leaving the T-birds with very few shots on goal. The shots they did get were easily blocked by junior Gracyn Evans in the first half.

In the second half senior Kendra Geisbrecht scored Manhattan’s only other goal and senior Maddy Smith, another MHS goalie, kept the T-birds score at zero.

The rest of the game went smoothly on both sides of the field with the Indians working hard to keep the game in their favor.  

The Indians ended their season with a record of 12-4. The Indians have to win to advance, but the players are confident in their chances throughout the postseason even after their rough end last year. The team won regional finals last year versus Derby but were taken down by Wichita East in the quarterfinals. With this memory still fresh in many minds the Indians are ready to face the postseason no matter what gets thrown at them.

“I’ve got high hopes and expect us to make it back to state.” Stone said. “If we come out wanting to win and put the pressure on the entire game I truly believe we will be satisfied with the outcome.”