Track takes Centennial League title with ease

Micheal Simmons, Sports Editor

Hard work and focus was the key to success for the Manhattan High track team as the boys took the Centennial League title, while the girls took second falling to defending state champions, Junction City. Redemption was nearly in the air as the boys team haven’t had the title since 2014 and the girls team haven’t had it since 2015.

“[Winning league] was rewarding,” head coach Kory Cool said. “I’m happy for the athletes that gave themselves an opportunity to win.  We had numerous athletes competing in multiple events and it was great seeing everyone come together as a team.”

MHS boys dominated the competition by scoring a total of 159 points and placing first, beating the nearest competition, Washburn Rural, by 48 points. The girls team placed second, falling to Junction City by 37 points.

Despite the second place for the girls, athletes still walked into and out of league with a positive attitude.

“I felt really happy about the situation we had put ourselves in Thursday,” sophomore Isaiah Childs said. “We worked hard all week in order to prepare ourselves for success. I felt really good when I finished my event, I was excited and I knew I put forth the effort required for the boys to go out there and win.”

Although the team itself dominated, it took a lot of individuals doing the heavy lifting. Junior Clara Mayfield placed first in both the girls 3200 meter and 1600 meter, while on the boys side senior Clyde King Jr. placed first in both the boys 200 meter and 400 meter. They made  an accomplishment that will be remembered for years to come, yet they now are focusing on making history at regionals and state.

“Regarding this seasons future, we’ve given ourselves a chance,” Cool said. “There’s so much more that goes into performing well than simply executing on meet days. If the athletes keep taking care of the smaller things and continue believing they deserve to win, they can win. Regarding the team’s future, I hope the younger athletes see what went into winning a league title and begin to take on a leadership role.”

The team competes next at regionals on Friday.