Manhattan Arts Center Summer Programs offer summer activities, fun

Meredith Comas, Opinions Editor

There are many summer activities in Manhattan. From swimming, to camps, to various sports, there is something for almost everyone, including those in the performing arts. When looking for activities that are inclusive of the arts, the Manhattan Art Center has a wide selection of activities throughout the summer for students and the community alike.

The MAC will be hosting the Manhattan Experimental Theater Workshop May 12 through June 16. This intensive 5 week experimental theater workshop for high school students allows students to experience both classroom and production company learning environment. Students will experience different styles of avant-garde — new and unusual — theater as well as write and perform original pieces. The experience does come with a participation fee of $55, but scholarships are available. Manhattanarts.org warns that the program may include strong language and may not be appropriate for those under 13. The community is invited to attend performances on June 15 and 16, 7:30 to 9:30 pm. Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for students.

Of course, the MAC always has some sort of show happening, and this summer it’s Frank Wildhorn and Steve Cuden’s “Jekyll and Hyde.” Based on Robert Louis Stevenson’s gothic novella of the fight between good and evil in the personality of one man, the musical involves romance, drama, murder and chaos. Auditions open June 4 and 5, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Performances are August 3-5 and 10-12, tickets are $17 for adults and $12 for military or students. The play does contain some adult situations and mild violence, and may not be appropriate for those under the age of 13.

There will also be a MAC Studios Exhibit May 19 through June 30. This will exhibit work from MAC Studios Watercolor, Paint, Drawing and Clay artists from throughout the year. It is free and open to the community, promoting public interaction with local Manhattan artists.

The arts center will also be hosting their summer program, “Third Thursdays on Poyntz.” This age-inclusive activity allows for participants to visit the downtown Manhattan art scene while interacting with local artists. People can enjoy visual art, performances and music, as well as shopping and eating locally all while exploring the many offerings of Poyntz Ave. Shops will stay open late and the program will offer something new every month. Dates for the program are as following: May 17, June 21, July 19, August 16 and September 20.

Altogether, summer at the MAC is shaping up to be a good one. Full of community events, artistic talent and opportunities for exploring new things, the MAC is sure to be the place to fulfill Manhattan’s creative side this summer.