Let your stories be heard, Manhattan High.

Meredith Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

It’s that time of the year again, when the comforting smell of sharpened pencils lingers in the air, the sound of crinkling notebooks and test packets in their impending anguish begin to sneak up behind the unsuspecting student on summer break.

The zip of 2,200 backpacks can be heard ringing over Manhattan, the bus engines are whirring up for battle. The classrooms brace themselves for the havoc of a new class, the hallways take in their last breath of quiet.

It’s a new school year.

And, it seems every August, every “school leader” sends out these welcome stories or notes filled with the same redundant message as last year’s: welcome back, here’s my vision, here’s my random comments on a currently pressing topic that neither of us really care to read.

I’m not going to do that. Instead, I’m going to ask you to tell me your visions for your school, for your publications, as the students of MHS.

You may be wondering, why does she even care? Well, as a journalist, I’m always looking for a story — your stories. My whole life I have found even the most ordinary of things to be fascinating. Yes, that includes the 7 p.m. Medical Explorers meeting on a Tuesday night and the third hour science class that’s doing an experiment so insane one can’t help but be intrigued. The glorious thing about being in this job is you learn that everything is a story — and I mean everything.

The other glorious thing is that you as a student have the opportunity to provide us your stories and trust me, we want to hear them.

Our goal as a publications staff is to successfully tell your stories and showcase all that MHS has to offer. However, we can’t do this alone; we need one very special addition to our process, you. I strongly encourage all of you to come to us with your stories — whether it’s about a scholarship offer, a club event or a class that’s doing something just totally awesome that the community just has to know about it. Utilize the publications as your forum of expression, be an active citizen who is vocal and heard.

If you aren’t sure how to go about getting our attention, it’s simple. Email us at [email protected], place a comment down below or visit our Twitter @MHSMentorOnline and our Instagram @mhsmentor. Of course, feel more than welcome to come find our staff in C-107 at West campus.

This year is your year. This publication is your publication. Be creative, be heard, be you.

We can’t wait to hear from you, MHS. Happy school year.