School lunch needs to change

Madison Ritz, Staff Writer

I think that the school’s food needs to change a little.

If you reviewed the menu, you’d notice that vegetarians, vegans and people with special diets don’t have very many options to choose from. Students also don’t always get the amount of food they want, to satisfy their hunger. As students at Manhattan High, we should be able to have more food options to choose from and or more quantity of food to feed each and every student.

Normally, there is one main type of food to choose from that changes every day. But the other options are usually pizza, PB&J or a sandwich. Schools with fewer students have more variety of choices to choose from.

According to Vittana — a non-governmental, non-profit organization that focuses on providing student loans in the developing world —The two most common items that can be found on a school lunch menu are cheese pizza and fried foods.” Vegetarians and vegans don’t have many options since most entrees are mostly meat and are stuck choosing a Smucker’s Uncrustable or pizza.

We as students should be able to have access to every food served during lunch. Students who enter the line at the end of lunch should be able to have the same amount of food as someone at the beginning of the line.

I stood in the back of the line in lunch and noticed the more students that came out, the less food was taken. I watched the food amount decrease. I noticed students at the end of the line frequently get about half or three quarters of the amount of food as the students in front of the line. This is because the main food runs out, and the students at the end aren’t able to get the chance to get the main entree. Even I didn’t get the main entree because they ran out. Not everyone can be in the front of the line, and that’s what causes everyone to rush to the lunch line.

School food should be more appetizing and appealing to the students. Many students don’t take the amount of food required to make a full meal because it doesn’t look like something they’d want to eat for lunch. If students would take the amount of food required, they’d run out of food even faster. According to BrandonGaille,a self-claimed “small business blog for entrepreneurs,” “…one of the biggest problems for school children is the amount of food that is available.”

Students should have a wider variety of choices and more food for each and every student. As a school, we could take a poll on the student’s opinions on the quality and quantity performance.