Varsity and Pops Choirs perform at State Fair

Sophia Comas, Sports Editor

Both Manhattan High’s Varsity Choir and Pops Choir traveled to Hutchinson to perform in the Kansas State Fair on Saturday, leaving at 7 a.m. in order to perform in the Bretz and Young Arena at 10:30 a.m.

The performance created a new singing environment for the groups, who had to make some adjustments to their pitch to accommodate to the outside stage.

“Performing on an outside stage was a new experience for most of us and we had to adapt and learn how to hear each other and perform as a group,” Krystal Kilner, junior, said. “It was a great growing experience for all of us.”

Kilner performed with her fellow Varsity members while also singing her very first solo. While she and the rest of the Varsity Choir used the stage to their advantage, Pops Choir was not so lucky. Because the stage was slick, they had to be extra careful with their dance moves.

Senior Jana Kellogg, unfortunately, fell on stage, though she says it didn’t stop her from having fun.

“I got back up and I kept dancing,” Kellogg said. “All that really matters is that we went there and we performed and we had fun and we got to do some bonding together as a small group.”

Despite the minor setback, both groups were able to pull through with their performances while leaving room for some improvements. According to Kilner, listening to other groups such as the community college choir helped them realize what they need to work on.

“Since the stage was outside, we were having trouble hearing each other and stumbled at times but we eventually figured it out,” Kilner said. “Hearing the community college gave us a lot of room for improvement and it just takes practice.”

Although Varsity and Pops are happy with the way their performances turned out, it is still bittersweet to know that this is the final State Fair performance for these seniors.

“It’s really hard. I really want to hold on to all of these special things that I get to do that I’m not going to be able to replicate when I’m in college,” Kellogg said. “I’m just trying to enjoy as much as possible and just live in the moment and enjoy this year as much as I can before I leave. I have to let go of all the special things I got to do in high school.”

As the choirs settle back into their regular routine, they still carry with them the experience they gained from being at the state fair and hope to utilize what they learned in future performances.

“Overall, it was a great experience,” Kilner said. “I can’t wait to see where this year will take us.”