Homecoming event mesh traditions, new ideas

Micheal Simmons, Blue M Editor-in-Chief

Fall homecoming filled the minds of Manhattan High students during spirit week. Dozens of nerve-racking dance proposals were made, which built up to one night encompassed by flashing lights, dancing and screaming from several hundred students.

“I had a blast at the dance,” junior Morgan Day said. “I mostly danced with my date [junior Egan Dritz] and my friends. While I was there … I was just happy and thinking about how lucky I was to have such good friends.”

While the dance still provided memories for decades to come for many students, it was far from the ordinary homecoming due to several changes. One change which was a disappointment to a number of students was how short-lived the dance was, only lasting until 9 p.m due to administrative decision.

The most noticeable change, however, was made during the pep rally. The tradition of the MHS pep rally usually consists of competitions such as pie in the face between members of fall sports and performances of several different groups of students. Some of those traditions were dropped this time.

“This year, we wanted to make the pep rally like an actual pep rally,” senior Suman Wang, co-president of Tribe, said. “Instead of sitting in the gym for 45 minutes watching people you didn’t know talk, you were on your feet cheering with your friends cheering and doing chants with the entire school body.”

Before the pep rally, the horizon of change was visible as changes were made to spirit week as well. In previous years, during spirit week there were several different theme days, such as pajama day, movie day and Disney day. This year, they were simple colors instead. Despite the themes being simpler, students found a way to leave onlookers in a state of shock and awe. Junior Nathan Paukstelis, for example, went above and beyond wearing a bright yellow suit for the Wednesday theme of “yellow.”

“When people first saw [the suit] they generally gave all smiles and handshakes, which made it a good time for everyone,” Paukstelis said. “I think spirit week adds a sense of community and creates something [for] everyone to do together.”