Riverdale premiers new season, amazing beginning

Kamryn Bussmann, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, CW’s “Riverdale” premiered for its third season and as usual did not disappoint at all.

A lot of unanswered questions that were left buzzing in the heads of the many viewers at the end of season two were answered by the end of the episode. But with some old doubts being resolved, obviously more questions were brought up so the season could leave off in an epic cliffhanger.

At the end of season two, Archie had just won the students’ votes and was being inaugurated as student council president. But just before he was going up to the stage, he was arrested by Sheriff Manetta with none other than Hiram Lodge right by his side.

The scene then develops further through the arrest process and boom! that’s the end of not only the episode but the entire season. Fans were left having no idea what to think or how to respond with a few months to wait until their uneasiness could be resolved.

In the new season, the storyline picked up right where it left off. Most of the summer had gone by and the characters were starting junior year. Throughout the 55-minute-long episode I was left with a gaping mouth and wide eyes, not believing what I was seeing or hearing. Many of my questions were answered and as viewers began to figure out all of the details behind Archie’s arrest. There were also more problems that were presented in each of the characters, as well as some foreshadowing as to how the season might playout. I’ve got no doubt there will be many twists and turns along the way.

As for the characters themselves, if you’ve been watching “Riverdale” from day one, you can truly start to see the differences in their behavior. You can see the character developments that went on from one season to the next. Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch) comes back more confident than ever with a sense of respect for the other students. There’s also a noticeable change in the relationships in “Riverdale.” Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse) and Betty Cooper’s (Lilli Reinhart) relationship has hit a deeper level. Now that Betty joined the Southside Serpents during the last season, Jughead has a deeper level of trust and love for her. I am excited to see the other characters continue to form into personalities and join groups that I may not be expecting.

The episode as a whole had me sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time. Not only is there the main problem for the season that shows in the premiere, but there’s a twist to the normal “Riverdale” persona. I’m not certain where this story line is going, but I most definitely cannot wait to see.