Clubs unite to volunteer

Tara Wood, Staff Writer

‘Tis the season to help others, and Interpersonal Skills, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Common Ground and a school social worker, Stephanie Thomas, are doing just that by providing aid to students here at Manhattan High,  Salvation Army and Operation Christmas Child.

Sherry Lancaster, a volunteer from Salvations Army, came to MHS to explain what the Salvation Army does, why they collect money around this time of year, and recruit anyone who might want to help.

“We told her that we would volunteer so she had a lot of spaces open around town,” Eric Eklund, IPS teacher, said. “She needed people to ring the bells and collect money and stuff so we’re being…a part of that.”

In this district there is a program called the Back Snap program where food insecure students can go to a closet and take what items they need. These can be food, hygiene products and winter accessories to keep warm such as hats. According to Thomas, food insecure students are those who don’t get enough calories at home due to various situations.

“I’m sure there’s a huge need and… you’re not going be able to tell from like, their outer appearance of what is going on at home,” Ashley Eckels, senior, said. “Eating a meal at the end of the day…having that there for them I think is really important.”

Common Ground and the FCA worked together to participate in Operation Christmas Child sponsored by Samaritan’s Purse International Relief. For 25 years this act of kindness has been sponsored by good samaritans everywhere with the national collection week being Nov. 12-19.

“You get a shoebox and you pack it with all kinds of just toys for certain age groups,” Garrin Williams, senior, said.” The operation sends it to like different kids in different countries just for their Christmas gift [for those who] are not able to get Christmas gifts [if] they don’t know about Christmas, which was really cool.”