Track places in top three for consecutive meets

Micheal Simmons, Blue M Editor-In-Chief

The boys Varsity track team continues to beat out competition by large margins and the girls continue to trail, as boys and girls took first and second on Friday at Lansing. The boys team won by 35 points and girls trailed by 28. The team competed at two locations, the other being Fort Riley, where both teams placed third.

While the girls team does not regularly place first as a whole, there are some individual first place finishers, such as sophomore Taylor Claussen who also set a personal record with a javelin throw of 115-04 feet.

“[To place first] felt great,” Claussen said. “I was having a pretty good day during warm ups so I could kind of tell that I was going to have a good throw. I was more excited about getting a new [personal record] but the first place finish was great to.”

While Claussen did achieve first place on Friday, her first of the season, she was not alone. Senior Clara Mayfield placed first in both the 1600 and 3200 meter events at Lansing, while freshman Rachel Corn placed first in the 3200 meter run. Sophomore Bonnie Hegarty placed first in high jump.

The boys team was more frequent with first place finishes.

Junior Tysen Plummer placed first in pole vault, along with the 4×800 relay team and fellow junior Sam Hankins in javelin. Sophomore Darius O’Connell placed first in shot put and senior James Higgs won discuss. Senior Max Lansdowne not only placed first in the boys 300 meter hurdles, he also set an all-time personal record with a time of 40.28.

“[Getting a new PR] was extremely satisfying,” Lansdowne said. “I was pretty excited when I finished because I already knew I had ran really well and I expected a new PR. I was really happy to set a new all time PR because I usually start off the season slow and don’t PR until Regionals or state so getting a time like this so early is great.”

The Varsity track team will compete at Bishop Stadium on Friday at 3 p.m. for their first home meet of the season.