Boys tennis prepares for League with back to back meets

Hannah Heger, Features Editor

After coming off of their first place win at Salina and the Junction City Invitational, Manhattan boys tennis played back to back meets this week. The team traveled to Topeka to compete.

Sophomore Daniel Harkin playing in the number one singles spot, he ended going 5-0 without dropping a single game, eventually placing first. In the number two singles spot, junior Robert Zhang also went 5-0, placing first as well.

The doubles team also had great performances with the number one team of senior Jack Easton and junior Jerin Urgin placing third with a score of 3-2. The number two doubles team of sophomore Luke Craft and freshman Kelton Poole also went undefeated, going 5-0 and placing first.

“We’re just gaining more confidence in matches,” Harkin said, “which helps us get better.”

While the team was supposed to travel to Olathe on Tuesday. The meet was canceled due to poor weather and later rescheduled to Thursday.

Harkin, who played in the number one singles spot, went 4-0 and only dropped two games, finishing in first place. Zhang, who played in the number three singles spot, went 3-1 finished in fifth place.

Craft and Poole, the number four doubles team, took home fourth place, finishing with a 2-2 outing. The number six doubles team consisting of seniors Carson Gido and Michael Turnley placed sixth, also finishing with a 2-2 outing.

“We seem to be improving with every meet,” Harkin said.

At the end of the meet, MHS had an overall team placement of second — scoring 52 points —  just behind Salina Central, who won the meet with 58 points.

The team will be busy preparing for the Centennial League meet set for today at Topeka High at 8:30 a.m.