What to be consciously optimistic about in 2021

Taryn Robinson, Opinions Editor

Starting a new year can be a fresh start for students and new resolutions for many around the world.

Most people can agree that 2020 was an awful year due to the massive spread of the coronavirus. While 2020 did more harm than good, it also made us aware that not everything can come easy in life, and you often have to fight for what is right and what you believe in. For example, not only was the virus a huge take-away from the year, so was the Black Lives Matter movement. Many Americans also gained a lot of weight as they couldn’t go to the gym and struggled to commit to a fitness program.

2020 is over, and it’s never coming back. This year is the year to get rid of the coronavirus by following the guidelines until the vaccine is available for everyone and to move on with our lives. This is the year to take what we learned last year, and improve our lives. Maybe you learned that you need to spend more time with family, as you didn’t before the pandemic, or that you need to get out of the country and explore the world more.

If the beginning of 2021 is treated as a recovery time, it will be the year where many people can enjoy life as it was, pre-COVID-19. In the summer, pools will reopen, mass gatherings will be allowed and everyone’s favorite part, no mask mandates.