Start of something new

Brianna Carmack, Print Editor-in-Chief

Graduation is approaching, which leaves many seniors unsure about how the next 40 years of their life will play out. It’s scary to think about our future and all of what could happen. However, for me, I’m not as worried as some of my peers. 

Before entering high school, I knew that I wanted to focus on writing, which set a good foundation for me as I was able to take classes that furthered my interest and broadened my knowledge in my passion. Although a clear niche for me wasn’t exactly figured out, taking those classes in high school has helped me come to realize what I want to do with my life. I understand that in this case, I am extremely lucky because although older people say high school is the time in your life where you figure out your identity, I don’t think that’s right for many high school students. In addition, I think not having a clear track ahead in life is what makes students nervous and uncertain about the future. 

Because we are moving to start a huge part of our lives, I’ve seen many of my peers freak out about the future. Living on your own, going to college, finding a stable job and going off into the military are all major milestones that influence one’s life heavily, and I think it’s understandable to be scared. But for me, I’m not. I’ve said to many of my friends that I’m not sad or scared to be leaving my childhood to go off to adulthood. If anything, I’m excited. I remember when I was around middle school age thinking about the future and being completely independent. It excites me and I can’t wait for it to come. High school for me consisted of some of my worst moments, so leaving all of that behind and in the past to start on a new path is what I’ve been looking forward to for a while now. 

My situation may be considered rare for many high school students because as I’ve mentioned, I had it pretty good in high school. I’m going to miss my friends and my family. However, this is not “goodbye,” but instead “see you soon.” As I begin my path into the real world, I have a smile on my face, ready to enjoy as much of it as I can.