Lady Indians have successful triangular

Taryn Robinson, Sports Editor

The girls Varsity volleyball team competed on Sept. 28 at Junction City High School, winning 2-0 (25-15, 25-18) against Junction City and 2-0 (25-19, 25-19) against Hayden. In this triangular, the girls added something positive to their record, which is now 8-12. 

“With these particular matches, we really focused on cheering each other on, hyping each other up and getting all the points that we can, [that] we deserve,” senior Greyson Zeka said.

In this triangular, the girls noticed both a good and bad quality about their game.

“I think we did a really great job with focusing,” Zeka said. “Sometimes we do get a little bit side-tracked during games but we really did come down to the basics — focusing and trying to get out of those games quickly.”

The girls also recall being neck-and-neck at one point throughout their matches, but quickly stepped it up to solidify their win.

“[During our games] versus Junction City, the points were pretty close up until about the 20-point marking and then those last five points, we really decided to kick it in. But against Hayden, we did really great the entire time,” Zeka said.

The girls Varsity volleyball team also competed at a Lawrence High School invite on Oct. 2. The team encountered Blue Valley scoring 0-2 (20-25, 19-25), Olathe Northwest scoring 1-2 (24-26, 25-14, 25-21) and lastly, Lawrence High School scoring 0-2 (22-25, 20-25).

This season especially, despite the upsets and victories, the girls have been closer than ever; they are well connected on and off the court.

“In my opinion, wins aren’t always what matters the most,” Zeka said. “Team building with chemistry, the way we cheer each other on and keep a positive environment all the time — I think that’s the most important part for a lot of us, but obviously winning is like icing on the cake.”

As this is the last high school volleyball season for many seniors, including Zeka, her last wish is something simple, yet meaningful to her.

“I hope that we can make it as far as possible with Sub-State and State [because] I think we have a great team, one who loves each other and we’re all about being a team player and everything,” Zeka said.

The team will play next on Oct. 9 at home starting at 9:00 a.m.