Wrestling wins senior night dual 49-24

Kris Long, Print Editor-in-Chief

The boys wrestling team blew out Marysville during their senior night dual 44-27 on Thursday, while the girls team won one out of their four exhibition matches. 

“I’m just happy for the kids that they had this atmosphere,” head coach Shawn Bammes said, referring to the large crowd in the North Gym stands. “I don’t think we’ve ever had as many students out here for Manhattan wrestling, and I think it’s just… students being able to come back to activities because last year we couldn’t have any.” 

The boys team had three pins, freshman #120 Logan Logerman, senior #138 Easton Taylor and senior #145 Blaisen Bammes, along with two technical falls from senior #152 Tucker Brunner, and #220 Talique Houston. Other seniors wrestling included #113 Janzten Borge and #182 T.J. Tiede whose weights were open and #285 David Sosanya who was pinned in the last match.

The dual was the senior classes’ last chance to wrestle in front of a home crowd, and the only chance for many of them at a Varsity level due to last year’s COVID-19 restrictions. 

“It’s been amazing,” Bammes said. “I mean, coming in here, freshman year, I didn’t even know if I would have a spot on the team, and placing [at state] there, and then coming back… other people notice what you’re doing and it really makes me feel good… And I’m just really happy I’ve been able to compete with Manhattan.”

Houston agreed. 

“This year it was real personal,” Houston said. “It’s my last time in front of the home crowd so it really meant something to me.” 

The girls team wrestled four Varsity matches and ended the competition losing 6-18. Senior Fallon Trojanowski — one of the founding members of their girls team — forfeited due to a season-ending injury, while the other senior girls wrestler Dache Island-Jones won her match by fall in the second period. 

“It’s really an honor [to be the first MHS female wrestler],” Island-Jones said. “I’ve seen these girls start just like me, back to back losing and then just coming back and winning and doing their best and giving everything they can without shedding a tear… They’re putting in a lot of work and it’s showing for sure. And it’s gonna pay off.” 

Both teams are headed to the Centennial League tournament this Saturday, where they placed second last year, losing to Washburn Rural, and then go into the Regionals.