Bowling goes to state

Taryn Robinson, Sports Editor

Senior Jasmine Bridges wrapped up the Manhattan High School bowling season at State last Thursday. Bowling with tough competition at Wichita North Rock Bowling Alley, Bridges did not place, but was happy that she got to experience State in her last year.

Even though Bridges is no stranger to State and its competition, she couldn’t help but feel nervous about the day’s work she had ahead of her.

“I didn’t play very well,” Bridges said. “Nothing really was different, just a bigger bowling alley and more people… all were at the same level that I’ve faced before.”

The atmosphere at State was nothing like Bridges had remembered from her experience – supporters of athletes were all over the alley, cheering on their team.

“A lot of cheering and clapping filled the alley,” Bridges said. “A  lot of people were supporting everyone, pretty much all the girls were just caring for each other and saying good luck and all that.”

At the State level, one can find many bowlers with a lot of experience and talent. However, the biggest challenge for Bridges wasn’t other bowlers.

“[My biggest challenge this year] I would say was myself,” Bridges said. “I was just getting into my head and wasn’t doing good.”

In Bridges’ four years of bowling and making it to State, some experiences were better than others.

“The best year I had [would be] last year,” Bridges said. “It was better for me [and my game] because my team was with me that year … I was just by myself this time and it was kind of hard.”

Winter sports are usually the longest seasons at MHS, but Bridges felt differently about this bowling season.

“It went by really fast, I wish it had gone a little slower,” Bridges said. “So it was kind of sad when it ended.”

As a senior, Bridges has advice to underclassmen and returning bowlers next season. 

“Try not to get in your head and just relax,” Bridges said. “Don’t get frustrated and just have fun cheering on your teammates at meets and have fun at practice.

As a last request, Bridges hopes that the bowling team will expand, having more athletes join next year, and years to come.

“I would say just try out for bowling,” Bridges said. “I’m hoping more girls would join the team.”