Chamber Orchestra, Choir perform at State Capital

Ameerah Alfailakawi, Staff Writer

In celebration of Music in Our Schools Month, orchestra and choir students from Manhattan High performed at the State Capital last week.

Music in Our Schools Month is a country-wide promotion and celebration of the benefits of music education programs to students and music educators. Students from MHS’s Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Choir were invited to the capital performance to celebrate music education on March 2. The Chamber Choir had 50 students and the Chamber Orchestra had 26 students. 

Choir teacher Chad Pape credited Kelly Knedler, Executive Director of the Southwest division of Kansas Music Educators Association, as a large contributor to this event’s success.

“All morning, he’s there with different people talking to senators and representatives,” Choir teacher Pape said. “He put together a whole day of basically lobbying at the state level and making sure that people making decisions and legislature know that we value music education and what a positive impact it has on students.”

Including music in schools allows aspiring musicians to further nurture their passion and talent. 

“Just…having a relationship with music…and getting to create something that’s so beautiful and precious,” sophomore Ari Snell said. “It is a dying art too, so it’s.. something that’s really nice to be a part of…I just think that’s a really great honor.”

Junior Eli Eickhoff believes the best part of an orchestra is to bond with the other members. 

“Honestly, just the relationships you build with… friends as a whole,” Eickhoff said. “Like better people, you know?”

Snell holds a similar view on the best part of orchestra.

“Just getting to bond more with people…in an orchestra and just getting to hang out with everyone,” she said.

Choir and orchestra will perform next on Wednesday and Thursday respectively in Rezac Auditorium.