Key Club attends annual conference

Photo courtesy of Laura Sapp

Senior Ashi Wickramasundara accepts her Key Club Talent Show first place award.

Avery Inman, Staff Writer

This past weekend the Manhattan High Key Club attended their annual conference in Wichita. The three-day conference, which took place Friday to Sunday, was a chance for Key Club chapters all over the state to meet up. 

“We attend a bunch of different workshops,”  president- elect Sonika Khosla, sophomore, said. “[We also] gain insights and ideas on how to run our club better and interact with other clubs.” 

Along with the workshops and learning opportunities, the conference recognized and awarded clubs and individuals for excellence within the program. 

“We got third place for the service award,” Khosla said, “for the overall service we did [throughout the year]. 

A talent show took place at the conference and senior Ashi Wickramasundara took first place for their original poem and reading. Along with the awards, elections for state offices were held to prepare for the following year. Junior Jessica Zhang was elected to be the 2022-2023 district lieutenant.  

“I’m pretty much in charge of informing the clubs in the district,” Zhang said. “So Manhattan, Riley County and Junction City.”

Along with having new elections, there are two seniors in the MHS Key Club that held state offices during the 2021-2022 year. Senior Ava Chae was the international trustee and senior Zoe Meyer was the lieutenant governor. 

“It was such a great opportunity to go to DCON in person this year,” Khosla said. “I loved networking with other Key Club members and even becoming friends with some of them and visiting with international board members. Overall it was a great experience and I’m excited to apply it to the MHS Key Club.”