Football makes it three straight

Micheal Ming

The Manhattan High football team notched their third straight victory against Derby on Friday after a 33-19 win in the season opener.

Starting off the game the Indians defense came out strong, forcing punts on Derby’s first two possessions. Following the second punt MHS had great field position and got on the board first with a 35 yard field goal. Only three plays later MHS got a safety, taking the lead to five with five minutes left in the half. Before going into halftime, senior running back Charles Morgan scored a rushing and receiving touchdown and took a lead of 19-6 going into the half.

In the third, both teams struggled to move the ball, but Derby found a way to score and cut the lead to seven with a quarter left to play. In the fourth both teams would trade touchdowns in their first possessions of the quarter and made the score 26-19 with four minutes in the game. With two minutes left in the game on a third and long, junior quarterback Carter Aslin found his way into the endzone with a 66-yard touchdown. Just a few plays later, senior safety Max Stanard sealed the game for MHS with an interception helping MHS improve to 1-0.

“We knew it was going to be a four quarter game and we came out and played as hard as we could to get the win,” Aslin said.

Manhattan’s next game is Thursday, Sept. 7, at Topeka High.