The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Keep It Sophisticated

Hunter Flagg

While Manhattan High has a lot of large clubs with a lot of involvement with students and the school itself, the Philosophy Club keeps it small, if not so simple. 

The Philosophy Club isn’t very big, but it’s filled with very bright and interesting kids. They discuss a variety of interesting topics, such as a recent discussion about justice. 

“We hold discussions and for the past month we’ve been talking about justice,” junior Jamen Trojcak, president, said. “Different ways to interpret our world and what is the best way to go about things justly. We look at how things influence different hypotheticals that we are talking about.” 

The club hosts meetings in room B-104 every Monday to hold different conversations from all points of views. They are argumentative at times, which could be useful for people who are in any debate-type classes. 

“It’s unique because most clubs go off of like an agenda type thing but we kind of go off whatever subject we get,” Trojcak said. “We prep by reading a little beforehand and we all cross examine each other and put forth our own ideas. I think it would interest anyone that wants to have a discussion or any type of debate about something.”

In the club, students get the opportunity to meet new friends and might even find a new subject they thought they didn’t like. 

“It’s pretty chill, a great club. I really only have positive things to say about it,” treasurer Wyatt Adams said. “It would help people get to know others and also understand people on a different level rather then just being friends because you’re having an intellectual discussion with them and it grows you more because you’re discussing things that are, you know, philosophical. I would really recommend it.”

Sponsor Gerard Butler said the approach of the club comes from the students who participate.

“I appreciate the students. I like their effort and I like their drive and their enthusiasm,” Butler said. “I think if you’re into debate or forensics and you like to have discussions about philosophy it would attract kids to join.”