Science Olympiad places third at Mill Valley

The Science Olympiad team attended their second meet of the year on Dec. 2, earning third place overall and a first place event. 

Among the 15 students who attended the meet covering 23 events, juniors Johnny Bachmeier and David Li took first in a chemistry lab event. 

The Science Olympiad team works all hours, from after school to weekends, preparing for competition. They left school at 5 a.m. to attend the event at Mill Valley, which included 21 other schools. 

While the team works as hard as they can, at times they do face struggles.

“The hardest part of the Science Olympiad for me is that some tests that we have to take are really difficult,” sophomore Mason Gish said, “and I’m only a sophomore …..on the team.” 

At the meet, the team had to take tests and compete in hands-on events that required them to build structures with scientific practice and do labs. The students work in teams of two or three, relying on each other and efficient communication skills to work together and achieve their best efforts for the team.

Coach Doug Andresen, MHS chemistry teacher helps the team by organizing the funds, providing resources and offering helpful advice.

“Balancing your work [is the hardest part],” Andresen said. “I like Science Olympiad because it provides students an extra opportunity to experience science beyond just the classroom.”