The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Social Media’s Effect on your attention span

Hunter Flagg

Tiktok and other social media apps such as Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, and more have caught on to the new trend of reels. Reels are little one minute clips of people doing anything.

This has become a problem in past years, because of the effects on people’s attention spans. This is becoming a problem in school because of the lack of attention that students are giving to their schoolwork. Many students are developing Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

Two thirds of high schoolers have the app and 16 percent of those kids said they use it consistently.  The average time on TikTok per day is 91 minutes per day. If you watch 91 minutes of TikTok or any other form of reels, that would be equal to 23 days a year. Students’ grades are dropping heavily because of this easy fix.

My solution to this is to try to limit yourself in any way you can. You could go on a run, workout, or for instance I’ve limited myself to 30 minutes or less per day. Now 30 minutes every day is still a lot but it’s a whole lot better than 91. Or a much easier fix is to watch longer form content. You could find a netflix show to watch or find a movie series. What works for me personally is reading books. Even just a little bit every day will work. You could even spend time with family or touch grass which nowadays is an old tale lost in time.