Forensics Team attends multitude of events

Forensics season is in full swing and our MHS forensics team has been dominating tournaments across Kansas. They have attended tournaments at Shawnee Heights, Washburn Rural, Seaman, Olathe Northwest, and more. Students are consistently placing in the top six in multiple categories and the team has 23 state level qualifiers.

The team still has multiple tournaments left including ones at Salina South, Topeka West, Blue Valley, and more. At tournaments, students are able to participate and compete in congress, public forum, LD, and individual events. This gives the competitors multiple chances to continue to earn top places in each competition and obtain two bids to go to the state level competition.

The team has had a great season so far.” Senior Kate Ward said. “We’ve gotten 23 state qualifications and still have plenty of the season left to qualify more students.”

Ward is attending the Salina South tournament the weekend of Mar. 23 and competing in informative speaking. Her teammate, Ashlyn Dobson is going as well, and has been practicing and preparing in order to earn a bid to the state, and then national tournament.

It will be my 2nd national qualifier tournament,” said Junior Ashlyn Dobson,  “and later in the year, I’ll be going to the IE national qualifier, then I’ll go to state, and then hopefully, nationals.

These tournaments have not only been competitions that challenged each member to grow their forensics skills throughout the year, they have created a tight knit team that supports one another throughout the forensics season. Members appreciate the willingness of other members to help out when they need assistance with stories or individual projects.

When asked what her favorite part of being on the team was, Junior Salina Wang responded, “The community and team. Our team culture for forensics is so unique and I would say unlike others in Kansas and I love that.”

Junior Marlena Lewison added to this appreciation of the community created by the forensics team by thanking the sponsor of the team, Mr. Phromany.

My favorite part about being in forensics is the super supportive and positive environment that is curated in this class.” Marlena said. “Mr. Phromanny is constantly pushing us to achieve more and better ourselves in our respective events.”