First annual freshmen dance ends as success

Megan Klug, Staff Writer

Saturday night was an eventful evening for the students of MHS. Along with Prom, the ninth graders held a dance from 9 to 11 p.m.. It was held in the East campus gymnasium and hundreds of students attended. The dance theme was “A Night in New York City” and was a semi-formal.

Prior to this year, the freshmen have commonly not had a single dance. Aside from MORP, which ended years ago, the freshmen have been limited to the homecoming fun nights. The night consisted of music, dancing, snacks and a raffle drawing.

The idea of a dance arose when a group of students petitioned so the freshmen would be given an opportunity to have a dance of their own.

“We wanted to have something that the freshmen could do since we can’t go to Prom,” freshman Kaitlyn French said. “It was something fun and different.”

Those who attended the dance enjoyed it. However, there was some controversy with having the dance the same night as Prom.

“I think it was kind of unfair to the upperclassmen that we have our dance the same night as Prom,” freshman Eilish MacCharles said. “It’s supposed to be their special night and we distract from that.”

Since it was the first high school dance for most of the students, there were plenty of new things to experience.

“I thought it was a good experience,” freshman Mackenzie Pease said. “It was nice to just be able to hang out with all of my friends, to dance and have fun.”

Overall, the dance was a success. French, who helped arrange the dance, was pleasantly surprised with the turnout.

“I think it went better than anyone expected it to go,” she said “Everyone had a good time.”