Mineo gets ‘Uncomfortable’ with sophomore LP

Album artwork via the9elements.com

Greg Woods, Online Editor-in-Chief

I have no idea where to start with this review, because this album is so, so good.

That’s a lame lede for any article, but I think it most accurately represents how incredible this music is.

Last Thursday night, New York-based rapper Andy Mineo dropped his sophomore LP, “Uncomfortable.” It had been a long time coming, as it had been over two years since his last full-length album.

The chief message of this album is what the title more or less suggests: comfort is our downfall. This is most evident in the title track. Mineo ends the joint with “If you want to live a comfortable life / make sure you never love nobody, be selfish and never sacrifice.” It’s a perfect way to start off the album, as it sets the tone for the rest of the tracks.

Also in the title track are a few of my favorite bars of the entire album. In the second verse, Mineo says “We tell him if you don’t make me money, or make me happy / then I ain’t making time for you, so make it snappy.” Here Mineo addresses a problem among Christ followers, including myself: using God as a magic genie, only calling on him when they want something.

The album continues with a tribute to Mineo’s growing up and his home town of Washington Heights, N.Y. with “Uptown,” when he does genius work tying in restaurants, streets and how much the city means to him, and “Now I Know.”

Song No. 4, “Desperados,” featuring Mali Music on the chorus, might be my favorite. It reminds listeners of an old wild-west movie with the sound, and the lyrics are solid. Some of my favorite are “The only way you get acceptance is when you know you don’t need it.” Speaks for itself.

“Hear My Heart” is the fifth song on the album, and it is amazing in its own way. It’s a heartfelt apology to his sister Grace, who was born deaf. Mineo never learned sign language until a couple years ago, and he asks for her forgiveness in the chorus. I really, really like this one.

One of my favorites is “Rat Race.” Mineo called upon Jon Bellion for piano and the chorus for this song, one that reminds listeners that as Christians, we’ve already won with “We’ve already won the game / no, we won’t run your rat race.” Though there’s strife and struggling in this life, God has already won over satan (no capital “s”).

Songs Nos. 8-11 take the cake for my favorite section of the album. In order, they are “Know That’s Right,” “Vendetta,” “Ghost” and “Love.” All four pack a punch with their lyrics, and the beats and instruments make them all the more fun to listen to. If I may gossip a bit, I think “Ghost,” when Mineo vents about a lost connection with a friend, may be about fellow Reach Records rapper Lecrae. Listen to it and you’ll know what I mean.

The final two songs are “Strange Motions” and “Make Me a Believer.” I have two different opinions on these tracks. Before the album released, Mineo said he tapped into his “psychedelic” sound in “Strange Motions,” and for me, that set off a “this is going to be a bad song” alarm. I wasn’t wrong. The song isn’t even rap; rather, it’s a slow, wispy track that’s hard to listen to. Bleh. However, “Make Me a Believer” is great. It features Mac Powell from the band Third Day, whose voice is remarkably deep, perfect for this song. It’s a cry out to God, asking him to prove himself to Mineo and Powell, because life is full of pain and confusion. I love it, to be short.

All in all, “Uncomfortable” is loaded with better music than I have writing ability to express. It’s genuine, authentic, hard-hitting, confrontational and true to Mineo’s roots. It’s his best work of his career, and without a doubt worth your time just be ready to get uncomfortable.