Big Blue Band Camp

Mira Bhandari, Staff Writer

The first sound that reaches the ears of an anticipating crowd shuffling into Bishop Stadium is the rhythmic marching of the Big Blue Marching Band. Over 150 students who participated in the marching band began rehearsing for their annual debut at Manhattan High School sporting events in the first week of August with the start of the Big Blue Marching Band Camp, led by band director Joel Gittle.

The positive reactions from participants of the summer camp have proven it to be an asset to the marching band members.

“[Band camp] set in place the fundamental elements of marching and showed me just how difficult it really was,” freshman Jayna Schwartz said. “In just one week I think I’ve improved a lot on the clarinet, and we’ve definitely got a huge head start on anyone who didn’t attend band camp.”

It is Schwartz’ first year playing clarinet in band camp.

The typical seven hour day at camp began with a half hour period of socialising and preparation, which was also used as a time to crack eloquent instrument jokes. The rest of the day’s agenda consisted of a midday lunch break and practice sessions, during which the band rehearsed pieces in both large and small groups and polished their marching.

Many band members found that on top of their progression as musicians through camp, they also developed as a team. Some regarded this to be the objective of band camp.

“I think the goal was to prepare everyone for the marching band season and also for us to get to know each other,” freshman Elizabeth Hohn said. “I feel like the goal was achieved because I learned a lot and got to know my section.”

Hohn is an alto saxophone player in marching band.

With a week of band being the focus of all efforts, individual attention was able to be paid to all instrumental sections, allowing the complete group to come together with increased strength. The band’s accomplishments by the end of camp included an early start on the pieces that will be performed by the band once school begins, an introduction to marching skills for those students taking part in band camp for the first time, and an established sense of camaraderie amongst a group of dedicated musicians.