Lady Indians have a strong showing at the Shawnee Invitational

John Ostermann, Sports Writer

After a strong opening at the Shawnee Invitational, the girls golf team came to play in Salina and delivered a first place performance. With a team score of 168 the girls performed very well and improved over their last performance.

“The nerves kind of went away because we had already had our first performance and we had more time to work on what went wrong in our last meet,” sophomore Camy McAtee said.

Similar to their previous meet, the weather was not a big help with winds rising to 15 miles per hour. This caused all the players to change which club they would regularly be using. They would club up, or use a stronger club so they can hit the ball harder, while shooting into the wind. The golfers would club down, or use a club so the shot is less powerful, when shooting with the wind.

“When you are going into the wind you always want to club up and when you are shooting with the wind, depending on how far the shot is, you should club down,” junior Macie Myers said.

Myers had a strong performance, finishing in first place, helping the team make their impressive showing.

“I definitely improved my putting over last week, but I am still unsatisfied with how I performed. I know that I can shoot better and do more to help our team be the best that we can be,” Myers said.

With a strong showing, the Lady Indians appear to be trending up. However, the season is not yet over, and they are ready for what happens next.

“I am super excited about what the team has already accomplished and can not wait to see how we will do in the weeks to come. These girls are like my family and I am excited about the rest of the season with them,” McAtee said.