Girls golf headed to state

John Ostermann, Staff Writer

With a great season behind them, the Manhattan Girls Golf team took to regionals with lots of confidence and determination to make it to State. That determination paid off as the girls were able to place in second as a team, sending them to state.

The team had to deal with lots of adversity yesterday, mental and physical. The tournament at Rolling Meadows in Junction City was postponed for some time with lots of rainy weather. The girls had to be mentally tough to overcome it but continue to play well after the break.

“Before they called us in I played one hole and played really well,” said junior Delaney Wisdom. “We were pretty limited with what we were able to do during the delay so we pretty much just sat around, but then after we went back out it took me a couple holes to get back on track.”

The weather definitely was an issue for players on the course as well. The wind forced players to adjust their shots and the wet green’s made it difficult to putt.

“My putting was not good today,” sophomore Camy McAtee said. “If I shore that up then my game will be back on track.”

The Indians excelled in the Individual game as well with junior Macie Myers scoring an 83, Wisdom scoring a 94, junior Lydia Fry and sophomore Elise Jackson both scored a 97, McAtee scoring a 108 and rounding out the scoring was freshman Kami Bussman.

The team will finish the season on Monday in the State tournament at the Country Club of Leawood.