Scholarships for minorities

Erick Echegaray, Opinions Editor

Imagine being considered foreign in a place where you’ve lived your entire life.This is the situation for many Hispanic students in the U.S, including mine. When college comes into the picture it can come as a scary situation not only for Hispanics, but also for other ethnic minorities, many whose parents didn’t go to college or don’t have the resources needed to pay full price for them to go to school. This is where scholarships aimed at ethnic minorities come into play. They give these students, who often come from working class or middle class families, an opportunity to succeed and equal the playing field when it comes to opportunity. Studies show that last year 2.2 million Hispanics from ages 18-24 enrolled in a two-year or four-year college, and Hispanics students since 2012 are enrolling at a higher rate to their caucasian counterparts. Hispanic-Americans, as well as African-Americans and Asian-Americans are given chances to further succeed and study in the name of themselves but also the country the grew up in. Many of these go unnoticed to minorities, if you need help, you can get help. These are just some of the ways you can achieve your dreams even if you are short on money or in opportunity.

DACA – (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

A program instituted by the Obama administration, it progresses the needed aid for undocumented immigrants who cannot access financial aid. It is for those who are not classified as permanent residents even though some have grown up in the United States for some time. Learn more at – www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca

HIS- The Hispanic Serving Institution

A program that came from Title V of the Higher Education act, this institution can grant Hispanic students grants and scholarship to ease the weight and stress of college debt for the future professionals of this country.

Learn more at –

http://www.hacu.net/assnfe/CompanyDirectory.asp?STYLE=2&COMPANY_TYPE=1%2C5

UNCF – The United Negro College Fund

An organization that helps African-American students accomplish going to college and graduating without debt. They offer many grants as well as scholarships which help youth get the education they otherwise could not get.  

Learn more at –

Uncf.org

Point Foundation

An organization directed toward a group of minorities who are often overlooked, the ones who identify with different genders than the ones they were born with. The LGBTQ+ community also deserves opportunities for the ground-breaking work they provide to how we think about our society everyday. Scholarships and grants are also available for many students who are active in their community as well students who have showed leadership in their status as a minority.

Learn more at –

https://www.pointfoundation.org/point-apply/application-faqs/