Media students attend national convention

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

Being 600 miles from home did anything but put a stopper in the success and energy of the media students who attended the National High School Journalism Convention from November 10-13. On the contrary, these journalists took the Indianapolis convention by storm by bringing back certificates and medals as well as incomparable learning experiences.

“I met so many amazing people and I learned so much from all of my different sessions,” junior Savannah Cherms said.

An aspect of the convention that held importance to the students there was the experience of being able to gather thoughts and insight from many people who have careers in the press industry.  

“I got to talk with a reporter who works with USA Today and the Indianapolis Star,” Cherms said. “She pretty much just told me to follow my passion, and that I feel like is something that will stay with me for a while.”

Cherms received the superior recognition for the convention’s review writing competition, which was the highest honor awarded. Senior Angie Moss, who was presented an excellent ranking in newswriting, and senior David Fliter, who was recognized with an honorable mention in editorial writing, also participated in the convention’s write-off competitions.

The convention consisted of numerous different sessions that covered a variety of topics from press law to newswriting. Many of the sessions provided several noteworthy perspectives for the students attending who endeavor to pursue a career in journalism.

“She pretty much just told me to follow my passion, and that I feel like is something that will stay with me for a while.”

— Savannah Cherms

“I definitely found out that I have a brand new love for journalism law,” Moss said. “Which was super cool because I wanted to do law in some way as an adult.”

The convention was also an opportunity to learn not only from the session leaders and real-time journalists, but also from over 3,800 other media students from around the country.

“I also made some really great friends who I hope I can continue to be friends with.” Cherms said. “It also helped me get the courage to put my writing and my work out there and be less afraid and more confident in my writing.”