Senior travels to Standing Rock to support the North Dakota Access Pipeline protests

Lily Colburn, Business Manager

While most students were relaxing and enjoying the start of their Thanksgiving break, senior Adelaide Bliss was working on the Standing Rock reservation in North Dakota.

Bliss went to North Dakota to donate blankets she had collected from people around the community and to support those protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline.

“We went to an orientation that taught you the values of the Lakota tribe,” Bliss said. “It also got you prepped for if you were to go to the frontline [of the protest].”

barbed-wire-copy

Bliss and her father, Lowell Bliss, did not go to the frontline because it was particularly dangerous while they were there. Additionally, Lowell was worried they could be arrested. However, Adelaide and Lowell had plenty of work to do for the camp that didn’t involve actively protesting.

“They were prepping for winter, building schools, and you could always help in the kitchen area or sort donations,” Adelaide said. “We chopped firewood and they had us dig a root cellar, so there was a lot of stuff to do.”

Adelaide wanted to go to the reservation because it is something that she is passionate about and wanted to be involved in.

“There is so much injustice in the world, and this is like a tangible thing that I can go and help out with,” she said.

Adelaide found this experience very inspiring, and she believes it would be valuable to any person travel or donate to the cause if they feel strongly about it.

“There were thousands and thousands of people there,” Bliss said. “The fact that there is so much more happening than we think outside of Manhattan, Kansas. Not everyone has what we have.”